Monday, September 25, 2017

Incessant Ticking

It's funny, how the business of life can call one away for an extended amount of life, deviating from true passions and hobbies. Then, when one returns, it seems as if the world has turned its axis many times more, the incessant ticking a reminder of the time lost that cannot be gained. I felt this feeling as I returned onto this blog, a place where I stash my writing pieces. It was amusing to skim through the old pieces I wrote when I was quite a bit younger, and how much my writing has, and hasn't, changed.
A few friends have asked after this blog, and while I ought to be comfortable and confident in letting them peruse the dilly dallies of my youth and my current mindset, there's something magical about leaving this little secluded world to the strangers of serendipity. I'm not sure my vulnerabilities are quite within reach yet.
I recently attended a talk by the wonderful, hilarious Kevin Breel, who spoke up about his mental health a few years ago, and his thoughts on suicide and depression. It was moving to hear the many stories he told of people whose lives were affected just by his TED talk, and it encouraged me to try and fight for vulnerability and attempt to push away the shame rooted in many people's minds about their own stories. Perhaps one day, it will come to fruition in a piece of writing...
I continue to be reminded that writing is one of the best outlets for sharing stories and being changed through my creative non-fiction class, having read a bounty of wonderful pieces... Steven Church's "Seven Fathom's Down," Barrie Borich's "Dogged," Chelsea Biondolillo’s "Back to the Land," and several more, which I might be reflecting more about later.They give introspection into different perspectives of life I never imagined possible, and they motivate me beyond anything to keep writing, despite voices of fear climbing within me.
Happy reading and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment