Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hidden Meanings and Pensive Prose, and blah blah blah...

I love a good piece of writing that makes me think. 
That makes my mind churn days, weeks, years after reading, and will make me never forget it because I still don't understand it (cue Inception, Interstellar.) 
I admire people that can fit beautiful and heartbreaking ideas into extended metaphors like a bird flying in the sky or something a bit more ordinary yet equally abstract like a figurative key only to unlock one's mental secret... I think it's fascinating people are creative and ingenious enough to think through every word and make everything have a purpose. 
I used to think that writing ought to be like that. With a complex plot hidden and woven behind intricate and mysterious details, a higher plot in the horizon with deep metaphors. 
And then I realized there was nothing wrong with being in the comfort zone. 

I read a piece that mentioned staying in the comfort zone, but I forgot which piece. All I remember is this epiphany that I, like so many others, strive to be outside my comfort zone by pushing myself, challenging myself, to explore different ways to write my fiction, my stories, as "professionally" as I could. I didn't realize how satisfying it was to just sit, and write. No fancy tone, voice, play on words, play on metaphors. Just the raw, human emotions and the page. 
One story I read about the shooting at the University of Ohio was just that. Yet it was so much more, and explored all the human emotions and deeper topics without trying. (Although the space stuff got a little iffy for me.) 
So I'm trying not to get caught up with the idea that people who write mind-boggling stories are somehow "better" authors than those who write memoirs about their lives. Sometimes, simple is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment